JACKPOT – AFRICA’S OVEN
What is it?
The JackPot is a cooking device that combines the functionality of a very good open braai (barbecue) with that of the well-known Kettle braai.
The registered design has a number of unique, innovative features that make using the device a pleasure.
The JackPot has a number of advantages over the Kettle braai:
– It is conveniently placed at waist height.
– The opening is toward you so that it operates like a normal oven.
– The lid opens like a normal oven and forms a convenient shelf – or it can be lowered if a shelf is not required.
– It has two cooking levels – the lower one being especially useful for roasting vegetables while the meat is cooking on the upper level. This allows the meat juices to drip onto the vegetables, adding to the delicious smoky flavour.
– Due to the fact that the main body is made from Cast Iron, the whole device heats up to provide a very even cooking temperature that is easily controlled.
– The temperature control is extremely easy to use. The threaded T bar gives precise control over the amount and flow of air entering the pot creating a very efficient combustion chamber.
Kettle braais do not make very good open braais because they get too hot and the aluminium tends to distort or melt. It is also not easy to contain the charcoal without additional fire trays. These fire trays are manufactured from thin (less than 1mm) steel than cannot withstand prolonged hot fires. The Jackpot has two large built-in “half moon” grates, that easily slide together to form a circular fireplace. All grids are made of 10mm thick steel rods, which do not distort even when very hot.
– Over 20 meters of steel go into the making of one Jackpot.
– It is very economical. Half of a 5 kg bag of charcoal will last up to 5 hours. Un-burnt charcoal is saved by closing the lid and turning the temperature control completely down, which kills the fire.
– It has a tray that collects the ash. This is easily removed for cleaning.
– A model that fits into a “built in or open braai” area is available with all the features of a normal JackPot except that it does not have the supporting frame.
Height: 1.5 metres
Depth: .7 metre
Width: .6 metre
Volume: 70.5 litres
Effective cooking volume: >30 litres
R6500.00 including VAT but excluding delivery.
Plans are available, price on application.